Monday, March 9, 2015

Thoughts and Feelings A Sentence Completion Card Game



Thoughts and Feelings: A Sentence Completion Card Game
By: Lisa Marie Arneson

Contents:
  • 35 illustrated cards
About Game:

The rules of the game are very simple. All you have to do, is read the beginning of the sentence and the finish it off.  When I saw this, I knew it was a game I had to get. When I opened the box I looked through some of the cards and was amazed. The beginning sentences were amazing to help little kids with sentence completion. 

I used this game often for the little ones and it not only helped them form sentences, but it often lead to great discussions. For example, on one card, it started off with "Sometimes I worry about..." and then the child would say what they are worried about. By dealing with issues in a fun way, we are not only improving speech but also dealing with issues.

Of all 35 cards in this box, I can honestly say they are very appropriate for children. I think there is only one issue that my child did not have to talk about and so we do not use that card. I would say that this is pretty impressive and worth the buy. 

Pros:
  • Sentence completion
  • Colorful illustrations
  • Encourages feelings
  • Fun way to learn full sentences
Cons:
  • Some of the illustrations on the card are ridiculously distracting. For example the card that says "I am different because..." shows a picture of a bird. My child could not get over the bird and insisted she is different because she is a bird. I now turn the card away, start the sentence and when she gives me a good answer, we laugh at the silly illustrations.
Suggestions:
  • If you child is learning more abstract skills then try turning the sentences into questions. For example back to the embarrassing one, ask your child what makes them embarrassed? You can even ask if they accidentally embarrassed any one. 
  • Take out one card and start off the sentence. After act it out. This will work best mainly for the happy cards but it is a lot of fun for the children.
Age Range
  • 4-6 years
  • Child learning to from sentences
  • Child needing help with expressive language
Bottom Line:

The main reason I got this game was for one of the girls as her speech was very delayed. Sitting down and asking her questions after a while can be very boring. As a result I purchased 
Thoughts and Feelings: A Sentence Completion Card Game as a way to encourage speech in a fun way.

If you have any stories about your children who had a speech delay and what you did to help them, please feel free to share below.

*If you are interested in purchasing Thoughts and Feelings: A Sentence Completion Card Game feel free to click the game above.